The Garrison Chapel
PDP London has completed the restoration of this Grade II Listed Garrison Chapel, situated within the 12.8 acre Chelsea Barracks Masterplan site in the City of Westminster, previously occupied by the Ministry of Defence for almost 150 years. The Chapel is considered to be a good example of a mid 19th Century chapel, built following the establishment of the Barracks and Hospitals Commission in 1857, it is the only remaining building from the original barracks of the 1860’s. Built in the Romanesque-Byzantine style with Venetian Gothic elements, its design is unusually stylish with its brick banding and stone decoration.
It is one of the few surviving chapels of its kind in London.
The newly refurbished Chapel will be used as a gallery, providing a social and cultural life to the area. By placing the Chapel at the centre of the public realm in a prominent place addressing Garrison Square, a public focal point to the Chelsea Barracks scheme has been provided.
The work carried out by PDP London to repair and refurbish the damaged fabric and make the Chapel accessible to the public, ensures that the Chapel has a long-term viable future, whilst providing a tangible link to the history of the Chelsea Barracks.
- Qatari Diar
- Culture + Leisure